This weekend I felt just like most of us: “I really want to make something healthy and sweet.. but I do not have much in the fridge”. The day was busy and It was already 10p.m… shops were closed. Knowing that didn’t help, I still wanted some good quality chocolate or chocolate cake.. I also did not want to bake anything that I have already baked, simply because I wanted to try something new. Girlish problems – I admit!
But: Quick trip to my kitchen and Voila! I took a look at what we have and thought “let’s give it a try!”. That’s how the Banana Avocado Protein Brownie was born.. Almost accidentally, but the result was brilliant!
As always my cake is sugar free, this time it is also gluten free… but it is rich in protein and healthy fats! This well balanced spongy brownie tastes as good as its guilty cousin – original brownie. Aaah… the taste of dark chocolate and banana aroma makes it a king of cakes. I swear!
BTW, don’t get caught: It might look as a simple cake, but as you take a bite of it… you will fall in love with the taste of it!
No kidding… the biggest challenge for me was how to stop eating this tiny chocolate masterpiece!
More good news: it does not include any fancy ingredients, which means that if you do not have them at your place, you will easily find them in the nearest grocery store. It is also easy to make, because most of the tasks will be accomplished with a food processor or blender.
P.s. I added some walnuts – to make the cake more interesting and prettier. You may skip them, add any other nuts, seeds or dried berries of your own choice. Play with this recipe and find what suits you the best.
Bon apetit, dear chocolate lovers!
Makes 12 slices
- 60g almond flour
- 60g oat flour (gluten-free)
- 60g Banana Whey Protein powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- vanilla extract
- 100g natural honey
- 100g stevia sugar
- a bit of salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 4 eggs
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 banana
- Optional: chopped walnuts for topping and coconut flakes for the dough
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, place a baking sheet into a bread tin.
- In a small bowl mix cacao and vanilla extract, add the boiling water. Mix it well until you get a dark runny chocolate cream. If missing, add more water. Set this bowl aside.
- In another bowl combine all the dry ingredients: almond and oat flour, protein powder. You may add the shredded coconut here.
- In a food processor combine avocado, banana, honey and stevia sugar. Blend it until you get the green cream.
- In another bowl beat 4 eggs and salt.
- Pour the avocado mass into the beaten eggs. Mix it well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg and avocado mass. Mix it well with a spoon. If you want any nuts/seeds/berries to be added, you should add them to this mass.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and pop into the oven for 50 minutes. Check after 50 minutes and cook for a few minutes longer if required.
- The brownie will seem to be a bit soft, but it will get more firm as you take it out from the oven. Give it at least 20minutes to cool before chopping.