Most of us love bananas: athletes, children, fancy girls with banana milkshakes and cool guys with banana protein shakes… even grandmas! This banana and blackcurrant cake will find its way to everyone’s heart, so don’t get surprised: this cake will not last more than a couple of days in your house. Moreover, I bet you are going to make a new one as soon as this one is gone 🙂
So… Everybody knows sweet and appealing smell, easy to chew texture, nice and sugary taste of these yellow fruits. Banana lovers would agree: they taste brilliant raw or in cookies, firm or in smoothies, alone or in combination with other fruits, etc.
Blackcurrants? If you are from Lithuania, these berries would remind you of careless childhood: gardens full of blackcurrant bushes, home made blackcurrant jam, blackcurrant lollipops that you may buy for just few cents in a local shop and more. Not from Lithuania? No worries, I bet you know the taste of sweet blackcurrant syrup that you may get into your coffee, cocktails or on top of ice cream.
For me this Banana and Blackcurrant Cake is a tasty and easy to make dessert that perfectly combines taste of childhood with aroma and softness of bananas.
I believe this cake would warm up dark winter eves, bring sunshine to cloudy summer days or cheer up your guests in any occasion. Fun and simple to make… pleasant to eat… and good for your body, why not to love this banana and blackcurrant cake?
4 whole ripe bananas
240g almond meal (you may change it with buckwheat flour for less kcal)
1 tsp baking powder
liquid stevia (or 60g honey)
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp home made blackcurrant jam
120g low fat butter
- Preheat the oven for 180 degrees. Coat a medium loaf pan with cooking spray or baking paper.
- Melt butter and leave it to cool down.
- Mash bananas with a fork, add liquid stevia and blackcurrant jam. Whisk in one egg and the melted butter.
- In another bowl combine the almond meal, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Pour this mass into a bowl with the mashed bananas and jam (described in step 3). Stir until well combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Place into oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.