I love meatballs! I always did!
I love mushrooms! I always did!
I am always looking for some new, delicious ways to get my proteins.. So the idea of making tasty, mild and quick to prepare beef and champignon meatballs popped up. I was used to making the traditional pan fried meatballs with bread crumbs or whole wheat flour.
However, not so long time ago I started raising questions such as ‘what would the meatballs taste like if no crumbs were added?’; ‘how could the meatballs be firm and juicy, without including flour?’; ‘how could the taste of traditional meatballs be improved in an easy, healthy way? Finally, how could I avoid making meatballs in a pan, so that they would contain less fat?
Victory! These quick to prepare Beef and Champignon meatballs are rich in protein, they have no bread crumbs or flour inside. What is more, meatballs are oven baked, so no additional fats are required to prepare them. Additionally, combination of champignon and Greek yogurt makes them mild and soft.
500g lean ground beef
10 medium sized champignons
2tbsp Plain Non-fat Greek yogurt
2 garlic cloves
salt, pepper, dried mixed herbs
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Lay a sheet of foil on the baking pan.
- Combine onion, garlic cloves and champignons in a food processor and crush into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, yogurt, egg and spices. Add the previously chopped mass.
- Form 12 meatballs and place them on the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. (if you want to get some crispy top, turn on the grill function for the remaining 3-5 minutes)