I guess nobody would be surprised if I start talking about chicken breasts as one of the regular sources of protein in my daily diet. I have to admit, I like preparing them in a quick and simple way. I find poultry delicious, so I have never tried looking for any fancy sauces to pour onto it.. I am a big fan of preparing those in such way that they remain juicy, easy to chop and sometimes a bit crispy on top.
Even though I am used to playing with different spices, herbs; coming up with new combinations of spices and vegetables that I use for marinating chicken, sometimes I want to bring some more fun, colours and intrigue into my kitchen. Those days I simply feel as turning ordinary foods, as chicken breasts, into something out of ordinary. One of the days last week I was in such mood, feeling full of ideas of how to boost taste in my lunch. I did not have much time though.. So I opened the fridge, grabbed the ingredients I had in it and started experimenting in my cozy kitchen.
I wanted to bake the breasts in the oven that time. However, I did not want them to be boring… plain oven baked chicken breasts. I wanted something different!
Combination of fresh greens, sweet and spicy mustard, juicy cherry tomatoes and a bit of fresh champignons inside the breasts – was the tasty idea that I came up with.
While baking the breasts, vegetables and mustard kept it soft and juicy from the inside, while the outside of chicken got a bit crispy. The only negative thing about this meal is.. that it is so hard to stop eating it! But.. it’s chicken breasts made in a healthy way.. so who cares? Enjoy!
Makes 7 portions
7 Skinless Boneless Chicken breast fillets
Sugar Free Honey Mustard
Handful of Cherry tomatoes
Several fresh Champignons
A bit of fresh greens (I used different kinds: rucula, baby spinach leaves and else that I had )
- Preheat oven to 180 – 200 degrees. Place a piece of foil paper on a baking sheet.
- Place the chicken breasts , one at a time into a plastic bag, pound with a kitchen hammer, smooth side, until they are thin enough to make the stuffed rolls.
- Dice cherry tomatoes, champignons.
- Spread thin layer of Honey Mustard on pounded out chicken breasts.
- Put some fresh greens, diced tomatoes and champignons on top of each breast.
- Roll the breasts as tight as you can and secure them with a toothpick. (For some I used several toothpicks to make them tighter)
- Season the top of the chicken, roast for 20minutes. If you want it a bit crispy add 2-3minutes with a grill function turned on.